Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I'm a Rebel

First of all, Happy Birthday America! Unfortunately, Guatemala does not seem to recognize the 4th of July. So while all of you are celebrating by the pool, I'm here at work:( It's really not so bad, I'm in Guatemala after all!

Anyways, just a short post today. Yesterday, I was part of group that pitched the protocol I'm writing to a local NGO. Overall, it was a success! Looks like I might even be traveling to Xela for the last few days I'm in Guatemala to help with the site inspection and some initial training. YA!

But that wasn't the most exciting part. The meeting was held in Zone 1 so I got to do about 10 minutes of exploring. As mentioned before, Zone 1 is not so safe at night. Which really stinks cause zone 1 is also the historic part of Guate complete with the big central market. We're not advised to go to zone 1 as foreigners so many people at the embassy have never (and will never) walked through this beautiful part of the city.

During my 10 minute exploration, I totally felt like a rebel who was exploring this forbidden part of the city. You definitely have a sense that you're an outsider since very few 'gringos' venture to zone 1. Wish I had taken some pics, but I didn't want to attract anymore attention to myself. A quick search in google images can help you imagine :)

That's all for now. This weekend I'm heading down to Lago de Atitlan so be prepared for amazing pictures next week.

Enjoy the pool!

No comments: