Friday, July 6, 2012

I speak 'English'

In the past few days, I've noticed two new things about Guate I wanted to share with you.

First, the taxi drivers know me now. I apparently take so many taxis that when the cab I called yesterday from the gym arrived, the driver knew exactly where I live (not an easy feat). I started to realize this when I would get drivers in the morning who knew where I worked without me telling them. If I didn't mention this, Guate is a driving city. Being without a car, I have to depend on taxis a lot. I take at least one a day, sometimes 2 or 3 or 4. The city does have buses, but, I think I mentioned before, these are not safe as many bus drivers each year are murdered (in addition to bus robberies). A significant portion of my summer expenses are supporting taxi drivers, so I guess it's nice that they recognize me!

Second realization, a lot of people say they speak English and very few do. As a 'gringa' I stick out. Usually the first or second question people ask, is 'de donde eyes?' or where are you from. Either it's my bad Spanish or my answer of 'the United States' that compels people to begin practicing their 'English' skills. I fully appreciate their enthusiasm, but I do have a two concerns.

1. I can to Guatemala to practice Spanish. It's not very helpful when everyone wants to speak English with me!

2. Speaking 'English' means different things to us. Naturally, it makes me think you speak English, but that's just not the case. So many people will tell me they speak English and then I realize they really know things like 'what do you call....?' It seems their English skills and my Spanish skills are equivalent. Needless to say, I do NOT speak Spanish.

I hope these two realizations are as interesting to you as they were to me (even if the last one was a bit of a rant). Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: